In this article, we are providing an essay on the Hockey game for students and children, the History of Hockey, Quotes, and Images. Students can go through this page for more information on Hockey games.
History of Hockey
Hockey is a type of sport in which players try to get points by hitting a ball into the other team’s goal with a stick. Others believe hockey came from the French word “hoquet” which means shepherd’s stick. James Creighton, an engineer who learned how to play the game of hockey while living in Nova Scotia, is credited for bringing the game to a new level. He taught his friends at McGill University in Montreal how to play the game.
Short Essay on Hockey
Hockey is a widely played team sport in our country. It is played on grass, artificial or watered turf, or synthetic fields. Each team has ten players and a goalkeeper. Hockey is a sport that requires a lot of practice and dedication.
Hockey is usually played on a rectangular field, and it is an outdoor as well as an indoor sport. The goalkeeper wears a heavily padded jersey and helmet and stands in front of the goal post with a curved hockey stick.
This is a fast-paced game that is played between the two teams. There are 11-11 players in both teams. The goal of all the players is to hit the ball on the other side of the net to get more points.
Long Essay on Hockey
Hockey is a very famous sport and is known as the National Games of India. Hockey has not been officially declared as a national sport. However, it is considered to be the only national game of India, because India has won many gold medals in hockey.
For the first time, it was played with different methods, however, it is now played as field hockey, which developed in the British Isles in the 19th century. Hockey has many state levels and national levels competitions in schools and colleges.
The Indian women’s national field hockey team is ranked 9th in field hockey rankings (FIH) and is nicknamed “Nabhvarna”. In 2002 India won the gold medal in the Commonwealth games led by captain Suraj Lata Devi. In 2003 India won the Asian Cup at Kula Lampur. India stands in 5th position in FIH world rankings as of January 2019.
Types of Hockey Games
There are three main ways that hockey is played.
1. Field Hockey with a ball on grass
Field hockey is usually played outdoors, but there is indoor field hockey too. Each team has eleven players which are usually played in the summer Olympic games.
2. Ice Hockey on Ice
Players on each team wear ice skates while playing this game. They try to hit a small rubber disc called a hockey puck into the other team’s goal. There are up to 6 players on the ice at a time for each team. It is usually played indoors also rarely outdoors. Professionals play indoors in arenas. Ice hockey is one of the most popular sports in the world. Ice hockey is played in the Winter Olympic Games
3. Roller Hockey on a Roller Hockey Rink
It is an indoor game. Players on each team wear roller skates. They try to hit a small plastic disk called a hockey puck into the other team’s goal. There are 5 players on each team.
Rules in Hockey
- The first rule is that only two teams with eleven members each are allowed on the pitch at any one time. Teams can however substitute players as many times as possible.
- One is not allowed to kick the ball with their feet.
- One is not allowed to swing their hockey sticks too high. This is to avoid hitting other players.
- No third party is allowed to interfere as only two players are allowed to touch the ball at a time.
- One can only hit the ball with the face of the stick. Using the backside attracts a penalty.
- It is allowed to catch the ball when another player has it, but you should not push them.
- One can score through three ways and this includes a field goal, a penalty corner, and a penalty stroke
- “You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take”
- “It’s not about how good you are but how bad you want it”
- “You only see obstacles when you take your eyes off the goal”
- “A good player plays where the ball is. A great player plays where the ball is going to be.”
- “Winning means you are willing to go longer, work harder and give me than anyone else”
- “Practice like you’ve never WON, Play like you’ve never LOST”
- “It takes balls to play hockey”
- “Good players inspire themselves, great players inspire others”
- Everyone has the desire to win, but only champions have the desire to prepare to win
- Do I smell of hockey and sweat?
- Hockey and some more hockey
- Puck and stick is what I carry
- Have you smelled my bag?
- The dentists are going to profit tonight
- I only live for hockey
- Not everyone gets the hockey thing
- Eyes on the puck, feet on the turf
- Love and breathe Hockey
- Rule of the stick
At last, We hope that the provided short and long essay on Hockey for students and children helps students to prepare for an essay writing competition.
Essay on Hockey for Students and Children | PDF Download
Dear Students and Children, you can download the Hockey Essay in the Hand Written Format by Clicking the Below Click Here Link.
|Hockey Essay- Important Link|
|To download the Hockey Essay PDF||Click Here|